Monday, October 20, 2014

Basic White Guys & Pumpkin Beer

It's fall, which means one thing to every red-blooded, beer-loving American man: Oktoberfest/marzen and pumpkin beers.And for those that know me, I've become a little bit of a beer snob over the last year (and yes i take pride in that).

I've compiled a little list of my opinions of all of the pumpkin beers that I've tried so far. Just a little background on my rating system - I use the standard Untapped/Beer Advocate 5 star system, divided by .5 star ranks. Most okay beers get around a 3, good beers usually get a 3.5, great beers get a 4, and anything that I would go out of my way to pick up again because it's so good get 4.5 - 5 stars.

Here we go:
  1. Sam Adams Pumpkin Ale -- 3.5 stars (decent pumpkin beer from good ol' Sam Adams)
  2. Avery PumpKYn [2014] -- 4.5 stars (excellent bourbon barrel aged beer, batch 1)
  3. Schlafy Pumpkin Ale -- 3.5 stars (good, extremely true to the tradition pumpkin beer style)
  4. Rivertown Pumpkin Ale -- 3 stars (okay, bits of unfiltered pumpkin floating in it)
  5. Southern Tier Pumking -- 3.5 stars (very sweet, some artificial flavor but drink with a brown sugar rim for a surprise)
  6. Epic Fermentation without Representation -- 4 stars (one of my favorites that I've had so far)
  7. Blue Moon Harvest Pumpkin Ale -- 3 stars (okay, not bad for a Blue Moon beer)
  8. Flat 12 Harvest Jack Pumpkin Ale -- 2 stars (just awful, tried at the Beers Across The Wabash festival, tasted like cheap spiced rum with no beer/pumpkin flavor at all)
  9. Travelers Jack-O-Traveler Shandy -- 4 stars (tastes like pure liquid pumpkin bread, almost no beer taste at all)
  10. Southern Tier Warlock -- 3 stars, the flavor almost felt artificial and forced
  11. Saranac Pumpkin Ale -- 3 stars, middle of the road pumpkin beer

These are the pumpkin beers that I currently have cellared or in my fridge that will likely be drank in the upcoming weeks. I'll update this post after drinking them.
  1. Hoppin' Frog Frog's Hollow Double Pumpkin Ale [2013]
  2. Avery Rumpkin [2014]

These are the ones that I'm still looking to try this year:
  1. Dogfish Head Punkin Ale
  2. Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale
  3. Brooklyn Brewery Post Road Pumpkin Ale
  4. Mad Tree Pumpcan
  5. Terrapin Imperial Pumpkin Pie Porter
  6. Cigar City Good Gourd Imperial Pumpkin Ale
  7. Cigar City Good Gourd Almighty


Untappd profile: https://untappd.com/user/TheWiredDJ/beers
Beer Advocate profile: http://www.beeradvocate.com/user/beers/?ba=TheWiredDJ

No comments:

Post a Comment